The history of MAIN Manufacturing Products, Inc.
reverts to 1955 when a steel marking stamp manufacturer required a
compact hydraulic press to augment their steel stamps for marking.
MAIN’s founder worked with another engineer to develop a hydraulic
press that incorporated a special hydraulic cylinder, which intensified
the pressure on the ram without any increase in the pressure in the
hydraulic lines when a resistance was met. This was ideally suited for
metal marking where high force was required for a short distance. This
saved both space and power requirements. To gain greater control over
quality, he and a friend started making the parts in a friend’s garage
in Flint, Michigan. During the later 50's, customers noticed that we
were making our own flanges. They were having the same problems that
MAIN was, a lack of timely delivery of quality flanges. Knowing the
quality of our presses, several customers asked if MAIN would sell them
flanges as well. In 1959, Main came out with its first flange catalog.
During the mid 60's,
MAIN built a 1,600 sq ft building in Burton. This was expanded to
27,000 sq ft before MAIN moved to a new building in 1999. MAIN’s
standard for assistance and advancement in the industry grew as
evidenced by MAIN’s staff, helping to start one of the first hydraulics
programs at Flint Junior College - now Mott Community College. MAIN
Manufacturing Products Inc. incorporated in 1969. MAIN joined the NFPA
and was a sponsor of the local Fluid Power Society chapter.
During the 70's, product
liability cost increased drastically for the stamping press industry.
It was decided to spin the press business off to a separate entity and
for MAIN Manufacturing to concentrate on the manufacture of hydraulic
flanges, connectors, and components. Although press manufacturing has
since been discontinued, the original drawings are available for
service. This also applies to any hydraulic flange that they have
manufactured over the years.
During the 80's,
MAIN’s business grew dramatically. New products were rolled out. MAIN
jumped to the forefront of hydraulic flange manufacturers by joining
the NFPA technical committees (USA TAG TC131 subcommittees). MAIN
bought many new machines including palletized machining centers and
special drill grinding equipment.
During the 90's, the flange
business continued to grow. MAIN became landlocked at its location.
MAIN decided to buy the assets of FLANGES INC., moved it to Michigan,
and built a new bigger and better facility. In 1999, MAIN moved into
its new 48,000 sq ft building in Grand Blanc. The building was designed
for the production of hydraulic flanges and components. A large climate
controlled quality control room, a climate controlled inventory room,
and a special manufacturing layout were all included. MAIN’s employees
did an amazing job of moving 60-80 tons of raw steel, $2 million of
finished inventory, and all the office supplies while maintaining
critical production and not missing a single production or delivery
date. MAIN’s customer base reached 1000.
During the new Millennium,
MAIN continued to grow and improve efficiencies as well as quality. A
major modernization of the equimpment was completed in 2008 with new
capabilites added. MAIN is a leader in manufacturing of special
hydraulic flanges to standards from around the world. The customer base
grew beyond 1300. Engineers working for MAIN have been selected to be
the chairman of the task force rewriting the ISO and SAE flange
documents. When new standards are developed and old standards revised,
it can be assured that MAIN will be there documents in hand.
MAIN's history is one of providing the right part (be it a standard,
stock special, or completely special),shipped quickly (stock to 1
week), for the right price. With a current customer base of 1300+ and
50+ years of experience MAIN is there to meet their customers needs now
and into the future.